Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Lemon juice and lemon oil give this ice cream its citrusy flavor; zest would get in the way of the ultra-smooth texture.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 581 Fat, Total: 38g Carbohydrates, Total: 55g
Cholesterol: 332mg Sodium: 78mg Protein: 8g
Fiber: 0g % Cal. from Fat: 59% % Cal. from Carbs: 38%
Cooking.com Tip: Dishing up a bowl of ice cream shouldn’t be physically exhausting. A defrosting ice cream scoop is a revolutionary tool that transfers the heat from your hand to the scoop making it easy for you to dish out the hardest of ice cream. No more bent spoons or waiting for the ice cream to defrost to enjoy your frozen treat.
- FOR ICE CREAM: 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon oil (see Note)
- FOR SAUCE: 1 1/2 cups blood orange juice (from about 6 blood oranges), fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 FOR ICE CREAM: Whisk egg yolks and sugar in large heat-proof bowl. Bring milk and cream to boil in heavy medium non-reactive saucepan. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture; return to same saucepan. Stir over medium heat until custard thickens slightly and coats back of spoon, about 5 minutes. (Do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and lemon oil. Strain custard through fine-mesh strainer into medium bowl. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- 2 Process chilled custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer ice cream to container; cover and freeze up to 4 days.
- 3 FOR SAUCE: Strain juice into heavy medium non-reactive saucepan. Add sugar and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced by half and syrupy, about 10 minutes. You should end up with about 3/4 cup of sauce. Cool to room temperature.
- 4 DO-AHEAD TIP: Sauce can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Or, freeze up to 6 months.
- 5 TO ASSEMBLE: Scoop lemon ice cream into dessert bowls. Drizzle with blood orange sauce or spoon sauce around ice cream. Serve immediately.
- 6 NOTE: Lemon oil by is made by the distillation of oils from lemon zest and has an incomparable flavor. Do not substitute lemon extract or lemon rind, which would ruin the texture.