Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe – Delicious lemon pie with a tang recipe.
Delicious lemon pie with a tang. Read the Editor’s Blog for more!
For everyday cooking, feel free to substitute a boxed lemon pudding mix, following directions.
You can also make this a lime pie by substituting RealLime® Juice for the lemon, adding green food coloring if desired.
- 1 unbaked pie shell that is baked before filling
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup RealLemon® Lemon Juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 Combine 1 1/3 cups sugar and the cornstarch in a saucepan; add RealLemon® juice.
- 2 Meanwhile, bake the pie shell and let cool. Separate eggs and beat egg yolks together. Add yolks to lemon mixture, setting the egg whites aside for the meringue.
- 3 Add the boiling water, stirring well, then place the lemon mixture on medium heat. Cook and stir constantly until mixture boils and thickens (about 8-10 minutes). Remove from heat.
- 4 Add butter and stir in until melted. Pour mixture into pre-baked pastry shell.
- 5 In a clean mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add in the remaining 1/3 cup of the sugar, beating until meringue is stiff. Spread on top of pie, sealing to the very edge of the shell.
- 6 Bake 20-30 minutes at 375 degrees until meringue is lightly browned. Cool, and chill before serving. Keep any leftovers refrigerated.