Ricotta’s slightly sweet flavor lends a delicate texture to these melt-in-your-mouth pancakes. Serve with maple syrup, lemon curd, fruit compote or your favorite jam.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups ricotta
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, for brushing the griddle
- 1 In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, ricotta, sugar and lemon zest, add the flour, and stir the mixture until it is just combined.
- 2 In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks, whisk about 1/4 of them into the ricotta mixture, and fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
- 3 Heat a griddle over medium heat until it is hot enough to make drops of water scatter over its surface and brush with some of the melted butter.
- 4 Working in batches, pour the batter onto the griddle in desired measurements (1⁄4 cup is ideal) and cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden, brushing the griddle with some of the melted butter as necessary.
- 5 Transfer the pancakes as they are cooked to a rack lined sheet tray and keep them warm in a preheated 200°F oven until ready to serve.