An ideal cocktail for sipping on a warm summer evening. Read more about Lucy Brennan’s book here.
Why try? This was the cocktail all our chefs agreed was the best-tasting selection from Brennan’s cocktail “cookbook.” Crisp, refreshing with lovely orange flavor notes.
- Cocktail ice cubes for shaking and serving
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- 2 ounces Cruzan orange rum
- 1 ounce fresh lemon-lime juice*
- 1 ounce simple syrup**
- Splash of soda water
- 1 orange slice for garnish
- 5 lemons (for fresh lemon-lime juice)
- 5 limes (for fresh lemon-lime juice)
- 1/2 cup water (for simple syrup)
- 1/2 cup sugar (for simple syrup)
- 1 Fill a tempered pint glass one-fourth full with ice and add the mint leaves. Fill the glass with ice.
- 2 Add the rum, lemon-lime juice, and simple syrup.
- 3 Cap the glass with a stainless-steel cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- 4 Pour the drink and ice into a Collins glass.
- 5 Top off with the soda water. Garnish with the orange slice and serve.
- 6 *For Fresh Lemon-Lime Juice. Roll each fruit back and forth on the kitchen counter while pushing on the fruit to release the juices. Cut the fruit in half crosswise.
- 7 Squeeze the juice into a medium bowl, using a handheld stationary juicer.
- 8 Combine the juices in a glass container and shake to thoroughly mix.
- 9 Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. Makes 10 ounces.
- 10 **For Simple Syrup. In a small stainless-steel saucepan, combine the water and sugar.
- 11 Stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- 12 Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- 13 Pour the syrup into a glass bottle with a pour spout. Cap, refrigerate, and use as needed. Makes 7 ounces.