The Macallan 12-Year Old Oak Sherry was part of Mario Batali’s Spaghetti Western party in Ft Worth, TX. The private dinner was among many of the festivities gearing up to Super Bowl. Attendees including Emeril Lagasse, Nolan Ryan, Guy Fieri, and players from the Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys feasted on Mario’s “Apple Macallan Fritter.” The fritters were a huge hit and hopefully they can be a hit for your Valentine as well.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup The Macallan Sherry Oak 12 Years Old whisky, plus 2 ounces for topping
- 8 cups extra-virgin olive oil, for deep-frying
- 6 green apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 cups vanilla gelato
- Cinnamon, for dusting
- 1 In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Slowly add the flour, about 3 tablespoons at a time, whisking until incorporated. Stir in the sugar and The Macallan. Allow the batter to stand for 10 minutes.
- 2 In a large deep pot, heat the olive oil to 375° F. Working in batches of 3 or 4 dip each apple slice into the batter, add to the hot oil, and cook until golden brown. With a slottedspoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- 3 Place 5 fritters on each of four plates, in an overlapping circle. Place a scoop of gelato in the center, sprinkle with cinnamon, add a tablespoon of The Macallan over the gelato and serve.