From Executive Chef Guillermo Carmona of the Velas Vallarta Resort in Mexico, a recipe for Magret al Mezcal Amores; duck breast marinated in Mezcal, and topped with fruit, candied carrots, and dried raspberries and figs.
The Mezcal has a very vibrant flavor, so stick to the quantity outlined in the recipe to avoid overpowering the succulent duck flavor.
- 2 duck breasts (400 grams/14 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup Mezcal Amores
- 3/4 cup fruit combo (blackberry, raspberries and strawberries)
- 1/4 cup candied carrots
- 1/4 cup freeze dried raspberries and figs
- To taste Salt and pepper
- 1 Marinate the duck breast in Mezcal Amores for 5-7 minutes. Keep the Mezcal to 1/2 cup to avoid overwhelming the overall flavor.
- 2 Puree the candied carrot and berries.
- 3 Grill the duck for 5 minutes on the skin side, then finish off in a convection oven for 15 minutes. On a conventional oven (home) the recommendation is 180ºC (356ºF ) for 8-10 minutes for a medium finish.
- 4 Plate the duck and top with sauce and freeze-dried fruits.