Maple Baked Beans Recipe – Baked Beans, Bacon, Maple Syrup, Dijon Mustard
Try this version of homemade baked beans and you’ll never want to eat the stuff from a can again. I don’t bother soaking the beans for this recipe.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 557 Fat, Total: 15g Carbohydrates, Total: 90g
Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 868mg Protein: 20g
Fiber: 19g % Cal. from Fat: 24% % Cal. from Carbs: 65%
- 1 pound dried navy beans, rinsed, picked over
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Combine 8 cups water, beans and salt in heavy large pot or Dutch oven. Simmer uncovered until beans are almost tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- 2 Saute bacon in same pot over medium heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate.
- 3 Add onion and saute over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 4 Add 1 cup water, maple syrup, ketchup, vinegar, drained beans and reserved bacon. Simmer uncovered until mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Season beans to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5 DO-AHEAD TIP:Beans can be made 2 days ahead. Cool. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before serving.