Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Margarita Lime Pie Recipe,
The filling in this cool and refreshing pie resembles the cocktail that shares the same name. It’s perfect after a spicy barbecue or a Southwestern or Mexican meal.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 343 Fat, Total: 17g Carbohydrates, Total: 40g
Cholesterol: 130mg Sodium: 87mg Protein: 5g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 45% % Cal. from Carbs: 47%
Tip: Small Mexican limes impart a tangy sweet flavor in this pie — for this recipe you’ll need about 8-10 limes.
- FOR THE CRUST: 10 whole graham crackers , broken into pieces (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup roasted macadamia nuts (about 2 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- FOR THE FILLING: 2 1/2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 1/2 tablespoons triple sec
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
- FOR THE GARNISH: 1 3/4 cups chilled whipping cream
- 2 limes, sliced
- Additional sugar
- 1 FOR THE CRUST: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350ºF.
- 2 Finely grind graham crackers and sugar in processor. Add nuts and melted butter and process until graham cracker mixture is evenly moistened. Press mixture onto bottom and all the way up sides and onto rim of 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Bake until crust is light golden and set, about 13 minutes. Cool completely on rack. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)
- 3 FOR THE FILLING: Combine tequila and triple sec in small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over; let stand until gelatin softens, about 10 minutes. Whisk eggs, 1 cup sugar and lime juice in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until mixture thickens (do not boil), about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture and whisk until gelatin dissolves and melts. Mix in lime peel. Refrigerate until mixture is cold but not set, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
- 4 Beat 1 cup whipping cream in medium bowl until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into lime mixture in 2 additions. Transfer filling to crust; smooth top. Refrigerate uncovered until filling is set, at least 8 hours or overnight. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. When filling is set, cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.)
- 5 FOR THE GARNISH: Pat lime slices thoroughly with paper towels to blot excess moisture. Dip both sides of each lime slice in sugar, coating well. Place on plate; let stand 10 minutes. Dip both sides of each lime slice again in sugar, coating thickly (this helps sugar adhere better to lime slices and they can stand at room temperature up to 1 hour before using.) Place lime slices on plate.
- 6 Beat remaining 3/4 cup whipping cream in another medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with medium star tip. Pipe whipped cream rosettes in decorative border around top of pie. Place sugared lime slices between each rosette. Cut pie into wedges and serve.