This can be prepared the day before any event. Just before serving, drizzle with vinaigrette. This is a great option for those who are done to death with other layered dips. Such a healthy, fresh alternative.
This recipe is excerpted from What Can I Bring? by Elizabeth Heiskell. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. NewYork, NY. All rights reserved.
- 2 (16-ounce) containers hummus
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup chopped drained canned artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup Versatile Vinaigrette, see recipe below
- Pita chips
For the Versatile Vinaigrette (3 cups)
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil or canola oil
- 1 Spoon the hummus in a large trifle dish. Top with the cucumber, feta, red peppers, olives, artichoke hearts, and mint. Drizzle with the Vinaigrette. Serve with the pita chips.
For the Versatile Vinaigrette
- 1 Whisk together the vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- 2 Note: You can use a food processor to combine the oil and the acid, but it’s easy to overprocess the liquids and they can become thicker than gravy. If the dressing gets too thick, add water to thin the dressing; do NOT add more oil, because that will only make the problem worse.