Recipe courtesy Stef of Cupcakeproject.com.
Mimosa cupcakes are orange cupcakes with champagne syrup drizzled inside, topped with a champagne frosting and a little orange rind.
They are the perfect cupcake for a Sunday brunch.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons frozen orange concentrate
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- FOR CHAMPAGNE SYRUP:
- 2 cups champagne
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- FOR CHAMPAGNE FROSTING:
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 2 to 3 cups confectioner's sugar (depending upon how thick you prefer frosting)
- 8 drops of champagne flavor (use an eye dropper)
- 1 Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- 2 Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and powder and set aside. In a medium sized bowl, cream the butter until smooth then add the sugar and cream together. Once the butter and sugar are creamed add in the orange juice concentrate.
- 3 Mix in one egg at a time. Add in flour mixture 1/3 at a time. When flour is thoroughly mixed, mix in the yogurt. Batter will be slightly lumpy, but should be smooth kind of like pancake batter.
- 4 Divide the batter evenly into lined cupcake tins and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- 5 FOR THE CHAMPAGNE SYRUP: Bring the champagne and powdered sugar to a boil and let them reduce about half way. Don't expect it to get thick. It will still be very liquidy when you are done. Poke holes in the cupcakes and drizzle in the syrup. Let it absorb into the cupcake and add more. Keep adding to taste.
- 6 FOR THE CHAMPAGNE FROSTING: Whip up whipping cream in mixer until soft peaks begin to form. Fold in mascarpone. Then, while mixing over low speed, slowly add the confectioner's sugar one cup at a time, being careful not to over whip frosting. Mix in the champagne flavor.