Mini Cuban Sandwich Recipe. The Mini Cuban Sandwiches are piled-high with braised pork, havarti cheese and mini pepper rings.
Recipe courtesy of BarNovo.
- MARINATED MOJO PORK:
- 1/4 cup peeled garlic clove
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 small cans Canned Chipotle with Adobo
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves (reserve stems)
- 10 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- salt and pepper
- BRAISING LIQUID:
- 1 gallon orange juice
- 1 quart canola oil
- Cilantro stems
- 2 medium red onions, julienned
- SANDWICH COMPONENTS:
- 1 sub sandwich roll
- Sliced Smoked Ham
- Thin sliced Sweet Hot Pickles
- Sliced Havarti Cheese
- Dijonaise (2 parts Mayo, 1 part Dijon Mustard)
- Cherry Peppers
- Butter for spreading
- 1 MARINATED MOJO PORK: In a baking Dish, place garlic and oil inside and cover with foil. Bake in oven at 300ºF for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. In a blender, blend the roasted garlic and oil with chipotle, lime, orange, and cilantro leaves to make the marinade. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Rub the marinade all over the seasoned pork and vacuum seal. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- 2 BRAISING LIQUID: In a braising pan, put orange juice and oil with the marinated pork. Add excess marinade to the pan. Add cilantro stems and onions to the pan. Braise in the oven at 275ºF for 5 hours. Remove from oven and let cool in the braising liquid over night. Skim the fat from the liquid and discard. Strain the liquid to make a pork au jus and reserve. Thinly slice the pork.
- 3 TO MAKE THE SANDWICH: Preheat the Panini grill to 380ºF. Reheat the pork jus. Slice the bread in half and put the dijonaise on the top half. Put the havarti on the bottom half. Layer the ham on the cheese. Dip the pork in the jus, and then layer it on top of the ham. Layer the pickles on the pork. Close the sandwich and butter the outside of the bread. Place in the Panini press and cook the sandwich until it is brown, crispy, and the cheese is melted. Cut accordingly and garnish with bamboo skewers and Cherry Peppers.