Talk about warmth on a winter day! This Mixed Bean and Vegetable Soup is a great combination of healthy veggies and comfort food. Photo courtesy of Brad Kirby Dallas. www.kirbyphoto.com
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 carrots, chopped small cubes
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby lima beans
- 6 ounces Porcini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 10 broccoli flowerets cut in half
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1 Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- 2 Add onions, carrots, green beans, red bell pepper, and a dash of salt.
- 3 Cover, and reduce heat to low.
- 4 Saute for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5 Stir in oregano, mushrooms, cannellini and lima beans with liquid.
- 6 Add broth and bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 7 Add tomato sauce, salt, and broccoli flowerets cook for another 8 minutes or until broccoli is just tender.