Orange Chocolate Chip Tea Bread is a wonderful treat for as the days grow colder–settle down with a cup of coffee or hot tea and enjoy the rich combination of orange and chocolate.
To see how easy it is to zest, see our Kitchen Lingo episode!
- 1/2 cup (one stick) softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, divided (McCormick Valencia or zest your own)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated or sanding sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon orange peel, divided (McCormick Valencia or zest your own)
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Beat softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- 3 Gradually add 1 cup granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- 4 Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- 5 Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with half and half, beating at low speed just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 6 Stir in 1 tablespoon orange peel and the orange extract.
- 7 Spoon batter into greased and floured 8- x 4-inch loaf pan.
- 8 Bake 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean.
- 9 Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
- 10 Glaze:
- 11 Stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth; spoon evenly over top of bread, letting excess drip down sides. Stir together remaining 1 tablespoon lemon rind and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; sprinkle on top of bread.