The Pan-Roasted Chicken dish is less about New Zealand and more about my personality. I wanted to do a dish that was chicken and egg, because I think its funny – what came first the chicken or the egg!”
– Chef Matt Lambert
Developed by New Zealand-born Chef Matt Lambert
Pairs well with: Nobilo Regional Collection Sauvignon Blanc
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHICKEN
- 4 Chicken breasts
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 4 Sprigs of thyme
- 1 Sprig of rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE ASPARAGUS
- 2 bunches asparagus (6-10
- spears per person)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE EGG YOLKS
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup Olive oil
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHICKEN JUS
- 4 cups chicken stock reduced
- to ½ cup for sauce
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- INGREDIENTS FOR GARNISH
- Dandelion leaves
- 2 tablespoons Chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons Chopped chives
- 1 FOR THE PAN ROASTED CHICKEN
- 2 Lightly season the chicken with salt and about 2 tablespoons olive oil, I recommend about 1 tsp of salt. Roll the chicken into a tight cylinder in plastic wrap and tie up the ends so the chicken is sealed in the plastic wrap.
- 3 Poach the chicken breast in 180°F/80°C water for 60 minutes. Remove from plastic and pat dry.
- 4 Pan roast the chicken in a medium hot pan to achieve a nice golden brown sear on the skin. Then add 2 tablespoons butter and bring to a brown foamy stage, add lemon zest, thyme, and rosemary. Spoon liberally over the chicken.
- 5 Remove and let stand.
- 6 FOR THE ASPARAGUS
- 7 In a hot pan add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté the asparagus until golden brown. Season with salt and add 2 tablespoons each of chopped parsley and chives just before removing the asparagus from the heat.
- 8 FOR THE EGG YOLKS
- 9 Separate 4 egg yolks and submerge the yolks in a small container of olive oil, about 1 cup. Allow to cook for around 1 hour at 140°F/60°C.
- 10 FOR CHICKEN JUS
- 11 Use 4 cups of sodium-free chicken stock and reduce it to 1/2 of a cup. Add 1 tablespoon of butter towards the end to help achieve the perfect consistency.
- 12 TO SERVE
- 13 Trim the ends of the chicken roll and cut in 4 pieces: the first piece bigger than the other ones. Place the chicken in the serving dish, with the end facing end up on the biggest chicken piece. Take the roasted asparagus and gently put on top of the smaller chicken pieces. Take the dandelion greens and mix them with 2 tablespoons each of olive oil, chopped parsley, and chives in a small bowl. Once tossed, stack them on top of the chicken and asparagus. Take the egg yolk out of the oil with a slotted spoon and nicely place it on top of the biggest chicken piece. Add a small amount of salt and chives on top of the yolk.
- 14 Pour the chicken jus on the center of the asparagus and let it run down under the roasted chicken to the point when it creates a small pool.