A blend of sweet corn and juicy tomatoes is tossed with fresh herbs, spiked with lime and enriched with salty feta cheese. Serve as a light lunch with fresh baguettes, or as a side dish with grilled chicken or lamb kabobs.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
- 4 ears of corn, husks and silk removed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bunch green onions, green portion only, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 to 3 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Juice of 1/2 lime, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons finely slivered fresh basil
- 1 Holding each ear of corn by its pointed end and steadying its stalk end on a cutting board, cut down along the ear with a sharp knife to strip off the kernels, turning the ear with each cut. Alternatively, remove the kernels with a kernel cutter. You will need about 3 1/2 cups corn kernels. Set aside.
- 2 In a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm half the butter and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until nearly smoking. Add half the garlic and sauté, stirring constantly, 20 to 30 seconds. Add half the corn and sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden and just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add half the thyme and green onions and sauté for about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining butter, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and the remaining garlic, corn, thyme and green onions. Transfer the mixture to the bowl. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- 3 In another bowl, combine the tomatoes, cheese, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper and toss gently to mix. Add the tomato mixture, the lime juice and basil to the cooled corn and toss to mix. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt, pepper and more lime juice. Serve at room temperature.
- 4 Serves 4.