Naturally sweet pecans combine with oats, cinnamon, and dried apples for a delicious, wholesome snack that can be enjoyed on its own or on top of yogurt for breakfast.
Recipe courtesy of the American Pecan Council.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup fresh pecan halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup safflower or any unflavored oil, such as canola or vegetable
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup dried apples, chopped into approximately 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix together oats, cinnamon, ginger, pecans, salt, oil, brown sugar and egg white. Pour mixture in a single layer onto large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring gently halfway through cooking, to not break up clusters.
- 2 After 30 minutes, gently stir in dried apple pieces, and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool completely before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container. Makes 4 1/2 cups. Serving size is 1/4 cup.