Lemon Curd is one of my favorite go-to desserts! Recipes for this English heritage delight date back to the 1800s where it was a much different consistency that what we know today. It wasn’t until much later it that it was served with scones or as a spread on pancakes or waffles with fresh blueberries.
Can anyone refuse classic Petite Lemon Curd Tarts? I don’t think so! A light and lemony curd cradled in delicate petite Fillo Factory cups…perfection! Easy to make with all-natural ingredients, these tarts are sure to make you look like a master pastry chef.
- 1 box The Fillo Factory Mini Fillo Shells
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (use the yellow outer skin only as the pith can be bitter; I use my trusted Microplane)
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (you’ll need 7-8 lemons depending on size; roll with the palm of your hand on a flat surface before juicing)
- 8 extra large egg yolks at room temperature
- Dash kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter; quartered lengthwise and diced into small cubes
- 1 Using a medium size heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolks and salt.
- 2 Whisk together and cook over medium heat.
- 3 Add butter when mixture is slightly warm. Whisk continually for about 5 minutes over heat until the mixture thickens to coating stage.
- 4 Remove from heat and using a sieve, pour the curd through and push the remaining curd with a wooden spoon through the sieve.
- 5 Let cool slightly and deposit in the Fillo Cups.
- 6 Garnish with candied lemon peel, fresh fruit or dust with confectioners sugar.