Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Here’s a new take on classic potato latkes.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 238 Fat, Total: 12g Carbohydrates, Total: 33g
Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 388mg Protein: 6g
Fiber: 4g % Cal. from Fat: 45% % Cal. from Carbs: 55%
Cooking.com Tip: Believe it or not, peeling potatoes with a hand-crank potato peeler makes this kitchen chore fun. Not only does this device peel potatoes effortlessly, but it cores and slices apples, too. You may find people volunteering for kitchen duty.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- One 8-ounce onion, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh fennel fronds (leafy green tops)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed in plastic bag
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- Non-dairy sour cream (such as Imo)
- POTATO, FENNEL AND OLIVE RELISH: One 8-ounce white rose potato, unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives (about 2 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups finely diced fresh fennel bulb (about 1 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds
- 1 Using coarse shredding blade in processor, shred 1/3 of potatoes and 1/3 of onions. Repeat with remaining potatoes and onion in 2 batches. Transfer mixture to large kitchen towel. Twist towel tightly around mixture and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Place potato mixture in large bowl. Add fennel fronds, eggs, flour, salt, fennel seeds, pepper and baking powder and blend well.
- 2 Pour enough oil into heavy large skillet to coat bottom and heat over medium-high heat. For each latke drop 1/4 cupful batter into skillet. Flatten each mound with spatula to 3- to 4-inch round. Fry latkes until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer latkes to large baking sheet. Repeat frying with remaining batter, leaving behind in bowl any liquid that collects in batter when you measure, and adding more oil to skillet as needed.
- 3 DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm latkes on baking sheets in 350°F oven until crisp, about 15 minutes.
- 4 Arrange latkes on plates. Spoon non-dairy sour cream and relish alongside and serve.
- 5 POTATO, FENNEL AND OLIVE RELISH: Cook potato in medium pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 30 minutes. Cool potato completely. Peel potato and cut into small dice.
- 6 Whisk oil and vinegar in medium bowl to blend. Add onion and olives; let stand 5 minutes. Mix in potato, fennel and chopped fronds; toss to blend well. Season relish generously with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let come to room temperature and stir well before serving.)