Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
In Provence, strawberries are traditionally marinated in red wine with a little rosemary or thyme. The longer the berries marinate, the more wine flavor they will have. Here they are teamed with pastry and whipped cream; they are also delicious on their own or with ice cream.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 541 Fat, Total: 25g Carbohydrates, Total: 55g
Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 164mg Protein: 6g
Fiber: 4g % Cal. from Fat: 42% % Cal. from Carbs: 41%
Tip: Hulling strawberries can be a tedious chore without the proper tool. A strawberry huller makes easy prep work of this task, plucking the stems off effortlessly with just a gentle tug.
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, large berries quartered or halved
- 2 cups dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from one 17 1/4-ounce package), thawed
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for garnish (optional)
- Fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
- 1 Gently stir strawberries, red wine, sugar and minced rosemary in large bowl until just blended. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- 3 Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold puff pastry sheet onto lightly floured surface; smooth out any creases. Using 3-inch-diameter mousse ring or glass as template and small sharp paring knife, cut out 8 rounds from pastry (do not use cookie cutter which will seal layers of puff pastry and prevent it from puffing). Transfer pastry rounds to prepared baking sheet.
- 4 Stir egg yolk and sugar in small bowl to blend. Brush surface of each pastry round with egg mixture. Bake until pastry puffs and is golden brown, gently piercing each with skewer halfway through baking, about 12 minutes. Using metal spatula, transfer galettes to rack and cool.
- 5 Place 2 galettes on each dessert plate. Spoon strawberries over galettes; drizzle with syrup. Top with whipped cream or ice cream and garnish with rosemary sprig, if desired.