Looking for a delicious boost in nutrients? Quinoa is one of the few plants that contains all 9 amino acids and it’s a great gluten-free substitute for the usual pasta salad you crave during the summer months.
Make this “mother of all grains” with garden vegetables and fresh juice, it’s exactly what your body needs!
For Rainbow Quinoa Salad
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup (8 oz) sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained, reserving oil
- 2 cups white or red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups each orange and apple juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- To taste cracked pepper
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup crushed nuts, of your choice, toasted if desired
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1 Halve, seed, remove white pith and dice peppers; set aside. Bring to scalding a tablespoon of the reserved olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan.
- 2 When hot, add quinoa and cook while stirring frequently until lightly browned about 5 minutes. Add diced peppers, cooking and stirring an additional 3 minutes.
- 3 Add both juices, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 16-18 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed. Remove cover and transfer to a large bowl to cool, fluffing to separate grains.
- 4 In a separate bowl, whisk remaining oil with the vinegar, hot sauce, basil and black pepper. Pour over quinoa mixture, top with diced cucumber, nuts, dried blueberries, and tomatoes.
- 5 Toss to combine well and serve room temperature or cover to chill before serving with your favorite shaved, cold protein.