This lovely criss-crossed crust tops off the raspberry-blackberry linzertorte to perfection.
This recipe courtesy of the Recipe Goldmine and the Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission.
- For the filling: 1 (10 ounce) package sweetened frozen raspberries, thawed - do not drain - 1 (16 1/2 ounce) can raspberries may be used - see directions below)
- 1 1/2 cups whole frozen Marion blackberries thawed - do not drain - 1 (16 1/2 ounce) can Marion blackberries may be used - see directions below)
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the pastry: 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (6 ounces), softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 For the Filling: Mix all filling ingredients in saucepan and simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring gently until thickened. Set aside to cool. (If canned berries are used, drain, reserving 3/4 cup juice, and omit the additional 1 Tablespoon water in recipe. Combine all filling ingredients in saucepan except berries, and heat until thickened. Add berries at this point and set aside to cool.)
- 2 For the Pastry: Heat oven to 350F.
- 3 Mix all dry ingredients, lemon and orange peel together. Using pastry blender, cut in butter very finely until mixture has the consistency of coarse sand.
- 4 Beat egg and yolk together. Make well in center of dry ingredients, pouring in the beaten egg and blending with fork, until all dry ingredients are moistened - 2 to 3 minutes. (It will be very soft.)
- 5 COOK'S NOTE: The food processor method (i.e. cutting hard butter into flour mixture) is not recommended here, as it is essential to use softened butter to have a soft dough, in order to pipe through pastry tube.
- 6 Assembly: Press half the dough in the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom, or 9-inch springform pan. Spread filling over dough. Using a pastry tube fitted with a 3/8-inch plain or ridged tip, pipe diagonal lattice over filling. Pipe a continuous border of large dots around outer edge where lattice intersects. Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool tart completely before attempting to unmold. Dust with powdered sugar.