The American Culinary Federation, Inc., established in 1929, is the premier professional organization for culinarians in North America. With more than 20,000 members spanning more than 210 chapters nationwide, ACF is the culinary leader in offering educational resources, training, apprenticeship and programmatic accreditation. ACF 2011 Pastry Chef of the Year Alex Hwang, assistant pastry chef at Cherokee Town and Country Club in Atlanta, has created this Valentine’s Day dessert.
- 4 sheets leaf gelatin
- 4 oz. milk
- 4 oz. sugar, divided
- 12.5 oz. heavy cream
- 3.5 oz. raspberry purée
- 5 oz. orange juice
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/2 t. cold starch (optional)
- Raspberries, for garnish
- Blueberries, for garnish
- Blackberries, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Chocolate stick, for garnish
- 1 Bloom gelatin.
- 2 Heat milk and 3 oz. sugar.
- 3 Add soaked gelatin to mixture.
- 4 Add heavy cream and raspberry purée.
- 5 Blend well with hand blender.
- 6 Portion into heart-shaped mold.
- 7 In separate bowl, combine orange juice and remaining sugar.
- 8 Scrape vanilla bean.
- 9 Add vanilla to mixture.
- 10 Add cold starch (optional).
- 11 Mix well.
- 12 Set aside.
- 13 To plate: Unmold panna cotta on plate. Add orange sauce around heart. Add assorted berries atop
- 14 sauce. Pipe whipped cream on center of panna cotta. Place chocolate stick on top of whipped cream.