Roast Turkey with Pan Gravy Recipe. Who needs a holiday? Homemade pan gravy tops this whole roast turkey for 8. Your gathering will be impressed with this delicious entree.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Nutrition Facts per Serving:
Calories: 1090 Fat, Total: 54g Carbohydrates, Total: 1g
Cholesterol: 542mg Sodium: 465mg Protein: 141g
Fiber: 0g % Cal. from Fat: 45% % Cal. from Carbs: 0%
- FOR TURKEY:
- One 15-pound turkey; thawed; wing tips removed; wing tips, neck, heart and gizzard reserved for gravy
- Freshly ground black pepper
- GIBLET STOCK:
- Neck, heart, gizzard and wing tips reserved from 15-pound turkey
- 6 cups (about) water
- FOR PAN GRAVY:
- 2 cups Giblet Stock (see recipe) or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 FOR TURKEY: Place turkey on large baking sheet. Cover turkey loosely with clean kitchen towel. Place on kitchen counter until turkey is room temperature, about 4 hours.
- 2 Position rack on second level from bottom of oven. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry. Place turkey breast side up on rack set in 18 x 13 x 2-inch heavy roasting pan. Sprinkle turkey with ground black pepper.
- 3 Place turkey in oven legs first. Roast until turkey is brown and meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees F, covering loosely with foil if browning too quickly, about 2 hours. Tilt turkey to drain any juices into pan.
- 4 Transfer turkey to platter. Tent loosely with foil; let stand 30 minutes. Reserve pan juices for gravy.
- 5 FOR PAN GRAVY: Pour pan juices into fat separating measuring cup. Pour off fat. Return pan juices to roasting pan. Set roasting pan atop 2 burners over medium heat. Add Giblet Stock or canned chicken broth. Bring liquid to boil, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Boil until liquid is reduced to 3 cups. Season pan gravy to taste with salt and pepper. Serve turkey with pan gravy.
- 6 FOR GIBLET STOCK: Using cleaver, cut neck into two pieces and place them in large saucepan. Add heart, wing tips and gizzard. Add enough water to cover mixture, about 6 cups. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until liquid is reduced to 4 cups, about 2 hours. Using tongs, transfer neck, heart, wing tips and gizzard to medium bowl. Cool.
- 7 Strain stock into 4-cup glass measuring cup. Remove meat from turkey neck. Finely chop neck meat, heart and gizzard. Combine stock and chopped meat. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)