Roasted Green Beans and Carrots with Red Onion Recipe. These roasted vegetables can be served hot from the oven, warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma and Leslie Revsin, Chef and Cookbook Author, New York City.
- 3/4 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut diagonally about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Preheat an oven to 350°F. Place an 8-by-11-inch heavy roasting pan or a very large, ovenproof fry pan on the rack.
- 2 Bring a large saucepan three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Add a pinch of salt and the green beans. Cook the beans until they turn bright green and are just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. The timing will depend on the age and size of the beans. Drain the beans and plunge them into a bowl of ice-cold water to stop the cooking and drain again.
- 3 In a large bowl, toss together the beans, carrots, onion, garlic and olive oil. Sprinkle with the cumin, season with salt and pepper, and toss again to thoroughly combine. Transfer the vegetables to the preheated pan and spread them evenly. Roast, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned, 45 to 55 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.