Healthy and delicious soup!
- 2 large red peppers (or 1 jar of roasted red peppers)
- 2 cups of cannellini beans, cooked (or 2 cans of cannellini beans, drained)
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3-4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- salt & pepper
- dry thyme
- Traditional Balsamic of Modena to top soup (optional but highly recommended!)
- 1 Heat oven to 375°F.
- 2 Cut peppers into quarters, rinse off and remove seeds .
- 3 Bake peppers on a baking pan for 15-20 minutes, until browned.
- 4 Clean off the crispy, browned peel of the peppers.
- 5 In a large pot, heat diced red onion in about one tablespoon of olive oil. Add in cooked, drained cannellini beans and stir over low flame for about 5 minutes.
- 6 Add in the cleaned, roasted peppers + salt, pepper and thyme.
- 7 Add 3-4 cups of water (enough to cover the other ingredients in the pot).
- 8 Bring to a boil and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- 9 Using a food processor, puree all ingredients until smooth and uniform.
- 10 Return the puree to the pot and heat on a low flame, adding a teaspoon of white vinegar.
- 11 Cook about another 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- 12 Serves 4 small portions or 2 large portions. Sprinkle just a few drops of traditional balsamic vinegar or balsamic condiment on top to garnish and exalt the flavor.
- 13 Serve with toasted ciabatta or other crusty bread.