Both sweet and savory, these spicy walnuts make for crunchy nibbling to enjoy out of hand. This snack can be prepared well in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. A slender rasp-style grater is the ideal tool for the orange zest.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 1 Preheat an oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly butter the foil.
- 2 In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy. Add the sugar mixture and whisk to blend, then whisk in the orange zest. Add the walnuts and stir until thoroughly coated. Spread the walnuts on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
- 3 Bake the walnuts, stirring every 10 minutes to loosen them, until golden, about 30 minutes. Transfer the walnuts to a bowl and let cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.