Enriched with cheese, herbs and spices, these buttery crackers boast an exceptional flavor and crunch that simply can’t be duplicated by store-bought varieties. For a fanciful touch, use miniature leaf-shaped cutters to create decorative shapes from the dough rounds, then bake the cutout shapes along with the rounds.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.
Cheddar-Cayenne Icebox Crackers: In a food processor, pulse together 1 cup flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne as directed above. Add 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter and pulse as directed. Pulse in 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, then 1/4 cup cream. Following the instructions above, refrigerate, slice and bake the crackers.
Black Pepper Lemon Icebox Crackers: In a food processor, pulse together 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 1/4 teaspoons cracked pepper and zest of 2 lemons as directed above. Add 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter and pulse as directed. Pulse in 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese, then 3 tablespoons cream. Following the instructions above, refrigerate, slice and bake the crackers.
Make-Ahead Tips: Prepare the dough, shape it into logs and refrigerate for up to 2 days before baking. If desired, bake the crackers up to 2 days in advance; store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, salt, pepper and rosemary and pulse twice to mix. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 pulses. Add the cheese and pulse twice to combine. With the motor running, pour in the cream and continue processing until the dough forms a single mass.
- 2 Transfer the dough to a work surface and roll into a log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- 3 Preheat an oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 4 Cut the dough into 1/8-inch-thick slices and place on the prepared baking sheet. If desired, using miniature decorative cutters, cut out the center of each slice, then place the cutouts on the baking sheet. Bake until the crackers are light golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 5 Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack. When the crackers are cool to the touch, transfer them to the rack. Makes about 24 crackers.