This rustic side dish features thyme butter-roasted vegetables, classic béchamel cream sauce and shredded fontina cheese baked golden and bubbly in a rustic hand-shaped butter pastry crust.
Why try? This savory side dish takes the dessert form of the tart in a different, delicious direction.
Recipe courtesy of Plugrá®
- THYME BUTTER ROASTED VEGETABLES:
- 2 tablespoons Plugrá European-Style Butter, unsalted, melted
- 2 cups small new potatoes, 1 1/2 -inch dice
- 2 cups asparagus spears, 2-inch dice
- 1 cup zucchini, 2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup red or orange bell pepper, 2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup red onion, 2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup carrots, 1-inch slice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic and pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- BECHAMEL CREAM SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons Plugrá European-Style Butter, unsalted
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup half and half cream,
- 1/4 teaspoon each: kosher salt, black pepper and nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups shredded fontina cheese
- BUTTER PASTRY: 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces Plugrá European-Style Butter, unsalted, cold, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 THYME BUTTER ROASTED VEGETABLES: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Combine melted Plugrá Butter, vegetables and seasonings in a large bowl and toss to blend. Arrange on a baking sheet; roast uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Adjust seasoning; cool.
- 3 BECHAMEL CREAM SAUCE: Heat Plugrá Butter in a small nonstick skillet until melted; add shallots and sauté over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4 Add flour and whisk to blend; cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Slowly add cream and whisk to blend; season with salt, black pepper and nutmeg. Heat over low heat for until sauce has thickened. Cool.
- 5 BUTTER PASTRY: Combine flour and salt in food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade. Add cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly drizzle in ice water and pulse until just incorporated.
- 6 Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a 5-inch disk. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- 7 ASSEMBLY:
- 8 Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 9 Roll out pastry dough on a floured work surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- 10 Combine roasted vegetables, 1/2 cup cream sauce (reserve remaining cream sauce for later use in another recipe) and shredded fontina cheese in a large bowl and toss until just blended; arrange in center of pastry dough, leaving a 2 to 3-inch border around outer edges of dough.
- 11 Fold outer edges of dough over vegetables, pleating pastry dough as you fold. Combine egg yolk and cream in a small bowl and whisk to blend; brush lightly over crust.
- 12 Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden. Slice into wedges to serve.