Sable in French means “Sandy,” to describe the cookie’s delightfully crumbly texture. This sweet & salty cookie has a hint of lavender salt that brightens the flavor.
Why Try? These two-toned cookies are a delight to the eye and palate.
Foodie Byte: This is a delicious example of the sweet and salty dessert trend.
Recipe courtesy Moveable Feast.
- 1/2 pound cooled butter
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried lavender
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 To make the fleur de sel: place kosher salt and lavender in a spice grinder or food processor. Pulse until lavender is reduced to a fine powder. Set aside.
- 2 To make the sables: cut the butter into small, even cubes and place in the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth.
- 3 Add the sugar and salt beating for an additional minute to incorporate.
- 4 In a separate bowl, use a fork to combine the all purpose and rice flours. Add them to the butter mixture in three separate additions, running the mixer on the slowest speed just long enough to incorporate each.
- 5 Add the egg yolk and mix on slow-speed just enough to combine.
- 6 Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until uniform and smooth. Do not over-work. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces, form each into a log 12 inches in length. Wrap each log separately in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour or up to several days.
- 7 When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 325°F. Cut each log into discs.
- 8 Place on a baking tray lined with parchment with an inch of space in between them.
- 9 Sprinkle each cookie with a bit of lavender salt and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.
- 10 Microwave chocolate in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted all the way.
- 11 Take your cooled cookie, dip half of the cookie into the chocolate and place on parchment lined sheet pan. Let set. It can take awhile depending on the humidity.
- 12 Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.