This recipe is used by permission from The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook: Inside the Kitchens, Bars, and Restaurants of Mad Men by Judy Gelman and Peter Zheutlin (Smart Pop, 2011). Hears of Palm Salad is from Curtain Up at Sardi’s by Vincent Sardi, Jr. (Random House, 1957).
Photo credit: Nina Gallant
See the full series of our Mad Men reviews and sample recipes:
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 whole pieces canned hearts of palm, drained (about 21 ounces)
- 6 thin slices pimiento
- 6 sprigs watercress
- 4 tablespoons Vinaigrette Dressing (see recipe below)
- VINAIGRETTE DRESSING:
- 1/2 dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon capers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pimiento
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped hard-boiled egg white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 SALAD:
- 2 Place lettuce flat on dish. Arrange hearts of palm in a row. Arrange pimiento slices across lettuce and decorate at side with watercress. Serve with Vinaigrette Dressing.
- 3 YIELD: 2 SERVINGS
- 5 VINAIGRETTE DRESSING:
- 6 Place the finely chopped ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and add olive oil. Stir thoroughly while adding vinegar. Keep in refrigerator. Always stir before using.
- 7 YIELD: 3/4 CUP