Served cold, this Asian noodle salad is tasty over crisp greens. Walnuts add texture and crunch to complete the flavor.
This recipe courtesy of the California Walnut Board.
See additional information about smart salads.
Per serving: 449 calories, 27grams protein, 28 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams dietary fiber, 26 grams total fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 2316 milligrams sodium, 1.5 grams omega-3, 5.8 grams omega-6.
% Calories: 52% fat, 24% carbohydrate
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 6 ounces vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 16 shrimp)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 3/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced, (about 8-10)
- 1 large English cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cups bean sprouts
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into julienne strips, or grated
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups mixed Asian greens, i.e. mizuna, tat soi, red mustard, napa cabbage
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup prepared fat-free Asian style salad dressing, plus an extra tablespoon
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange walnuts in a single layer on a sheet pan & toast until lightly browned, about 5 -7 minutes. Cool.
- 2 Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add vermicelli rice noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain well, cool slightly, and toss with 1/2 cup dressing. Chill noodles.
- 3 Season shrimp lightly with salt and pepper. Thread shrimp on short bamboo skewers, allowing 2 per skewer. Coat a large nonstick skillet with canola cooking spray and place over medium high heat. Sear shrimp in pan until pink, about 3 minutes per side. Brush shrimp with 2 tablespoons dressing. Set aside to cool.
- 4 Toss chilled rice noodles with 1/2 of the walnuts, bell pepper, green onions, cucumber, bean sprouts, carrot, cilantro, and ginger.
- 5 Wash butter lettuce and divide between 4 plates. Toss Asian greens with remaining tablespoon of dressing & arrange in butter lettuce cups. Place rice noodles next to greens. Arrange 2 skewers of shrimp on each salad. Sprinkle remaining walnuts overall. Garnish with cilantro leaves.