This Savory Onion and Dried Cherry Scone is filled with dried sour cherries, lemon zest thyme and onions, creating the perfect balance of sweet, tart and savory. Enjoy with coffee in the morning or treat yourself to an afternoon tea!
Recipe and photo courtesy of the National Onion Association.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, salted and chilled
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, fresh minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme, fresh minced
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup yellow onions, diced 1/4-inch
- 1 1/4 cup dried sour cherries, coarsley chopped
- 2 eggs, large, beaten
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 egg, large, beaten, for egg wash
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2 Using an electric mixer combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- 3 Add butter and blend on low speed until mixture resembles cornmeal, with small chunks of butter still visible.
- 4 Add lemon zest, thyme, pepper, onions and dried cherries. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- 5 Add 2 eggs and heavy cream. Blend on low speed until mixture just holds together as a dough.
- 6 Remove dough from mixing bowl, and turn out onto lightly floured work surface.
- 7 Gently fold dough over itself five times. Divide dough into two equal pieces. Form each piece of dough into a seven-inch round, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut each round into 6 wedges.
- 8 Brush tops with egg wash.
- 9 Place separated wedges onto a baking sheet, and bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.