Tender halibut filets, rolled in olive oil and grilled. Served on a bed of rainbow chard and topped with a saffron Beurre Monté.
According to Healthline Nutrition, eating halibut has many health-related benefits. It’s rich in micronutrients, is a good source of high-quality protein, may be good for your heart, and helps fight inflammation.
Rainbow chard is kin to the beet, with larger, crisp, yet tender, leaves. Its brightly colored stalks are responsible for its name.
Beurre Monté is a method of infusing the fish with the flavor of butter – this one enhanced with the subtle, fragrant, ever-so-slightly sweet tones of saffron. The spice of legends, saffron comes in threads, which are added to a pot of minced shallots before whisking in the butter to finish the Beurre Monté.
This recipe for Seared Halibut with Saffron Beurre Monté is another in our series shared by Chef Kyle Beausoleil of Michael Jordan’s Steak House, located in the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut.
Garlic Braised Rainbow Chard
- 3 pounds rainbow chard
- 2 ounces garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock
Saffron Beurre Monté
- 0.25 grams saffron threads
- 1/2 ounce shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/8 cup water
- 8 ounces whole butter, diced
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) halibut filet
- To coat fish extra virgin olive oil
- To taste salt and pepper
Garlic Braised Rainbow Chard Method
- 1 Wash rainbow chard thoroughly, cut leaves into 3-inch strips stopping at the stems.
- 2 Take half of the stems and chop into 1-inch strips, discard the other half.
- 3 Add oil to a large warm sauté pan, then add garlic and cook until the garlic becomes golden brown.
- 4 Place leaves into pan and lightly wilt, then add chicken stock, rainbow chard stems, then salt and pepper to taste.
- 5 Allow to cook for 1 minute, removing from liquid using a slotted spoon.
- 6 Place on a sheet tray and allow to cool quickly in the fridge or freezer. Once swiss chard is cool, place in a towel and squeeze all remaining water out of the leaves. Set aside.
Saffron Beurre Monte Method
- 1 In a shallow sauce pot, warm minced shallots until translucent.
- 2 Add saffron threads, orange zest and orange juice until saffron color becomes bright and vibrant red.
- 3 Add water and bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- 4 Slowly whisk in butter pieces a few cubes at a time until sauce is completely emulsified. Salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
Grilled Halibut Method
- 1 Warm grill to 500+ degrees F. Salt and pepper Halibut, lightly roll in extra virgin olive oil so it won’t stick to the grill.
- 2 Place Halibut on grill and cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
- 1 In a sauté pan place a little butter and braised rainbow chard and cook until hot.
- 2 Mound rainbow chard in the center of the plate. Place fish atop the rainbow chard, then pour Beurre Monté over the top and serve.