Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with these cute treats from Jean Elimon in Thompsonville, Illinois. ‘The recipe is a low-fat take on an old family-favorite lime pie,’ Jean says. ‘It’s always a hit at potlucks and church suppers.’
This recipe courtesy of tasteofhome
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 225 calories, 1 gram fat (1 gram saturated fat), 2 milligrams cholesterol, 110 milligrams sodium, 48 grams carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 grams protein.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 20 green candied cherries
- 1 Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2 Add the vanilla, salt and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 3 Drop meringue into 12 mounds on two parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 4 With the back of a spoon, shape into 3-inch cups.
- 5 Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven and do not open door; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- 6 In a small bowl, beat milk and lime juice until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- 7 Fold in whipped topping and food coloring if desired. Spoon 1/3 cup filling into each meringue cup.
- 8 Cut 18 cherries in half and two into thin slivers; garnish each dessert with a shamrock shape.