Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Sushi is all about the seasoned rice and an array of accompaniments to top or roll inside the rice. Short grain rice is used for sushi because of its ability to retain its texture when cooked and to stay soft even when cool. A Hangiri or cedar tub is used when seasoning the rice, because it absorbs excess moisture; a plain wooden bowl makes a good substitute.
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 15 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 5 dried nori sheets
- 3 3/4 cups Sushi Rice (see recipe)
- SUSHI RICE:
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar, unseasoned
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 inch square kombu
- 3 1/2 cups short-grain sushi rice
- 4 cups water
- ACCOMPANIMENTS: soy sauce, wasabi paste, pickled ginger
- 1 Heat oil in heavy medium saute pan over high heat. Add mushrooms; saute until mushrooms are soft and brown, about 5 minutes. Add green onions and saute 10 seconds longer. Transfer mixture to small bowl. Stir in soy sauce and pepper. Cool to room temperature.
- 2 Place nori shiny-side down on bamboo sushi mat. Using rice paddle, spread 3/4 cup Sushi Rice over nori forming 1/4-inch thick layer and leaving 1/2-inch border on long sides. Arrange 1/5 mushroom mixture horizontally down center of rice.
- 3 Starting with long edge nearest you and using bamboo mat as aid, roll rice-coated nori around filling jelly-roll style. Using gentle pressing motion, compress roll forming round or square roll. Remove mat. Using very sharp knife, cut roll crosswise in half. Cut each half into 4 pieces, forming 8 pieces total. Repeat with remaining nori, rice and mushroom mixture.
- 4 Serve sushi with accompaniments.
- 5 SUSHI RICE: Combine vinegar, sugar, sea salt and kombu in small skillet. Stir mixture over low heat until sugar and salt dissolve. Cool to room temperature.
- 6 Meanwhile, rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Drain well. Combine rice and 4 cups water in heavy medium saucepan. Bring water to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer gently until most of water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- 7 Alternatively, cook rice in rice cooker according to manufacturer's instructions. Remove from heat; let stand covered 10 minutes. Transfer rice to large wide wooden or glass bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 of vinegar mixture. Stir rice gently being careful not to smash rice. Season mixture to taste with additional vinegar mixture.
- 8 Transfer rice to container cover with a damp cloth to prevent rice from drying out.