Colorful and succulent chicken tacos with the extra kick of horseradish. A sassy dish for a summer evening.
Recipe courtesy of the Horseradish Information Council in celebration of National Horseradish Month (July).
More about horseradish —and more recipes.
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup sour cream or mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in large non-stick skillet over high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Reduce heat to med-low, cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add red pepper and continue cooking 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 2 Season chicken with cumin and pepper. Heat oil in non-stick grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly browned and juices run clear. Season with salt. Slice into 1/4 inch strips.
- 3 While chicken is cooking, whisk sauce ingredients in medium bowl.
- 4 Place 1/4 cup spinach over each tortilla. Divide chicken evenly, top with onions, peppers and horseradish sauce.