This hearty soup is a real family pleaser and stomach filler.
Recipe courtesy of Holly Clegg’s trim & TERRIFIC® Gulf Coast Favorites
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 very lean meat
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups cubed, peeled, Louisiana yams (sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 In large nonstick pot, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is done, about 5-7 minutes.
- 2 Drain excess fat.
- 3 Add remaining ingredients, except corn.
- 4 Bring to a boil.
- 5 Reduce heat, cover, simmer about 30 minutes.
- 6 Add corn, continue cooking, covered, 15 minutes.