*This recipe is courtesy of Picnics: Delicious Recipes for Outdoor Entertaining by Sara Deseran/Chronicle Books LLC and Jonelle Weaver. It is similar to a traditional Spanish tortilla, a thin omelet made with potatoes. The potatoes are poached in olive oil, then drained of the remaining oil, making them silken smooth and rich in taste. Using prewashed and packaged spinach shaves off a lot of the prep time. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, make sure you use a skillet that can stand the heat of a broiler.
Tip: The omelet keeps well and is good the next day, too.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 pound large red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 ounces stemmed spinach leaves
- 7 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- 2 Add the potatoes, onion, and 1 teaspoon of the salt, stirring and turning occasionally, until the potatoes are tender but not browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3 Drain the potatoes in a colander set over a bowl, reserving the olive oil. Let cool.
- 4 In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, add the spinach and cook for 30 seconds, or until the spinach is wilted. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain again and using your hands, squeeze hard to extract the water from the spinach as best as you can and roughly chop.
- 5 Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then stir in the spinach, the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and the pepper.
- 6 Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved olive oil to the skillet over medium heat. Fan the potatoes out to cover the bottom of the pan and add the egg and spinach mixture.
- 7 Cook over low heat, covered, until the sides are set but the center is still loose, about 12 minutes. Preheat the broiler.
- 8 Remove from heat, uncover, and place the tortilla on the top rack directly under the broiler for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- 9 Using a spatula, gently loosen the sides and slide the tortilla onto a plate. Wait until serving time to slice.