These gingerbread flavored bars taste great and will keep your energy up all day.
Spiced Energy Bars Recipe courtesy of BUSH’S BEST® Beans and The Vegetable with More.™
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135, Total Fat: 3.3g, Cholesterol: 38mg, Sodium: 233mg, Total Carbs: 21.3g, Dietary Fiber: 2.8g, Protein: 4.4g
- Crust: 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup ground gingersnaps
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Filling: 1 (16 ounce) can BUSH'S® BEST Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Topping: 3/4 cup low fat granola
- 1 Preheat oven to 350º.
- 2 Cut an 8 x 12 inch piece of wax paper and moisten one side with water. Press wax paper, wet side down, into an 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish. Let longer sides of paper extend up sides of the baking dish to help with removal. Lightly spray the wax paper and sides of the pan with non-stick spray.
- 3 For crust, stir together egg white, gingersnap crumbs and butter until combined. Press into pan, using back of a greased spoon. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until firm. Remove pan from oven and cool.
- 4 For filling, puree BUSH'S® BEST Pinto Beans with buttermilk in a food processor until smooth.
- 5 Transfer to mixing bowl and add eggs, pumpkin puree, molasses and vanilla. Beat with hand mixer on high for one minute.
- 6 In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and clove. Sift mixture into filling and beat for one minute on high.
- 7 Pour filling onto the prepared crust and sprinkle granola on top.
- 8 Bake 40-45 minutes, or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- 9 Cool completely, and lift from pan using the ends of the wax paper. Cut into 12 bars and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.