Perfect for entertaining, this salad is as much a feast for the eyes as it is the palate. Allspice and cinnamon combine with the sweet, tart flavor of pomegranate juice to create a special vinaigrette for mixed greens. Fresh oranges, Cinnamon Glazed Walnuts and pomegranate seeds complete this spectacular starter.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Allspice, Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Mustard, Ground
- Pinch McCormick® Gourmet Collection Black Pepper, Coarse Grind
- Pinch McCormick® Gourmet Collection Sicilian Sea Salt
- 8 cups baby or spring salad greens
- 3 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 6 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 3/4 cup Cinnamon Glazed Walnuts
- CINNAMON GLAZED WALNUTS: 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Ground Cayenne Red Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 1 Mix pomegranate juice, oil, vinegar, allspice, mustard, pepper and sea salt in small bowl with wire whisk until well blended.
- 2 Toss salad greens and vinaigrette in large bowl. Divide salad mixture evenly among 6 plates. Top each with about 5 orange sections, 2 tablespoons Cinnamon Glazed Walnuts and 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds.
- 3 TIPS: Pomegranate juice is available in the produce department of most supermarkets.
- 4 To remove pomegranate seeds, break open the pomegranate in a bowl of water. The pink seeds will separate from the white membrane more easily and will sink to the bottom of the bowl, while the membrane will float and can be removed easily.
- 5 CINNAMON GLAZED WALNUTS: Mix 1/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection Saigon Cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Ground Cayenne Red Pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Set aside.
- 6 Beat 1 egg white in medium bowl until foamy. Add 2 cups walnut halves; toss to coat. Add spice mixture; toss to coat nuts evenly.
- 7 Spread nuts in a single layer on greased baking sheet. Bake in preheated 250°F oven 1 hour, stirring nuts after 30 minutes.
- 8 Cool slightly and break apart. Cool completely and store in airtight container up to 2 weeks.