This popular Indonesian fried noodle dish reflects the cross-cultural influences prevalent throughout Southeast Asia. Thick egg noodles are fried with tomato ketchup and tomatoes, potatoes and cabbageWestern vegetables adopted by Indonesians.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1/2 pound Hokkien noodles or thick Chinese-style egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 6 ounces large shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- 1 small carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 pound red cabbage, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 green onions, including tender green portions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 small firm tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 boiled potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon kecap manis
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 green chili, sliced
- 1 small English (hothouse) cucumber, sliced
- 1 lemon, cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
- 1 If using Hokkien noodles, rinse with warm water; set aside. If using Chinese-style egg noodles, bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles, stir to loosen the strands, return to a boil and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Drain, rinse thoroughly with cold running water and drain again; set aside.
- 2 In a nonstick wok over high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the garlic and yellow onion, and toss and stir until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and toss and stir until bright orange, about 1 minute.
- 3 Add the carrot, cabbage and green onions, and toss and stir until the vegetables begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and potato, and toss and stir, being careful not to break up the cubes, until heated, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- 4 Return the wok to high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the noodles and toss to lightly coat with the oil. Add the ketchup, chili sauce, kecap manis, soy sauce and sugar and toss to thoroughly coat the noodles, about 2 minutes.
- 5 Push the noodles up the side of the wok to make a well in the middle. Crack the eggs into the well and lightly beat. Cook, without stirring, until set, about 1 minute. Gently fold the eggs into the noodles. Add the reserved shrimp and vegetables and stir to combine.
- 6 Divide among individual bowls. Top with the green chili and cucumber slices and accompany with the lemon wedges.