Italian sausage and seasoned canned tomatoes lend the Italian taste to this rich and colorful chowder.
This recipe courtesy of Pioneer Brand, C.H.Guenther & Son, Inc.
To retain bright “Christmas green” color, heat spinach just until hot. Continued cooking turns the spinach dark green.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced Italian-style tomatoes with herbs, undrained
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 package Pioneer Country Gravy Mix (2.75 ounces)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 In large saucepan, cook and stir sausage, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until onion is tender and sausage is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain, if desired.
- 2 Stir in water, potatoes, tomatoes and bouillon; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Return to boiling.
- 3 In 4-cup glass measure, dissolve Pioneer Country Gravy Mix in milk; stir into boiling mixture. Cook and stir until thickened.
- 4 Stir in cheese and spinach; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and spinach is heated through.
- 5 Makes 6 to 8 servings. Serve with Basil Biscuits.