This grilled sammy is easily made vegetarian, if desired, by removing the prosciutto. Either way, it’s a vegetable and nutrition-packed sandwich that would be perfect for any summer picnic!
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association.
- 8 cups (2 quarts) yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- Aioli (recipe follows)
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 cup roasted red pepper strips
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar, sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 2 ounces prosciutto or pancetta, in paper-thin slices (optional)
- 1 Caramelize onions over low heat in oil about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden; mix in red pepper flakes. Split ciabatta rolls and brush inside lightly with Aioli.
- 2 For each serving, layer bottom of roll with 1/4 cup basil leaves, then 3/4 cup caramelized onion, then 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, 2 ounces cheese, and 2 tablespoons olives.
- 3 Add 1/2 ounce prosciutto if desired. Close the rolls and brush with aioli. Place each one in panini grill set at medium.
- 4 Slowly close lid (somewhat flattening sandwich inside) and grill 15 minutes or until golden and melted.
To Make the Aioli:
- 1 Combine in electric blender 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 2 medium cloves garlic and a dash of salt. Process until blended and slightly thickened. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Makes about 1/2 cup.