So deliciously simple, it’s scary! That’s the secret behind this recipe for moist chocolate cupcakes with a sweet cream cheese surprise filling. Scare up some smiles from your little monsters with these frightfully fun treats.
Recipe courtesy of Duncan Hines
- 1 8 ounce block cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 8 drops yellow food coloring
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 1 package Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tub Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Classic Chocolate Frosting
- 1 tub Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Classic Vanilla Frosting
- chocolate decorating decors
- 1 Blend together cream cheese, 1 egg, sugar, 2 drops of red food coloring and 4 drops of yellow food coloring until smooth and creamy; set aside.
- 2 Preheat oven to 350° F. Place paper baking cups in muffin cups.
- 3 Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fill each muffin cup 1/2 full of batter. Place a dollop of cream cheese mixture in center of each cupcake.
- 4 Bake for 23-26 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack to cool completely before frosting and decorating.
- 5 To decorate cupcakes -- frost top of each cupcake with chocolate frosting. Tint ½ cup of vanilla frosting with 2 drops of red food coloring and 4 drops of yellow food coloring: set aside. Place remaining vanilla frosting into plastic resealable bag. Cut a pinpoint hole in one corner of the bag. Starting in the center, pipe frosting in circles on top of cupcakes, making each circle larger than the previous. Drag a toothpick through the circles in an outward, spoke like motion to create a spider web.
- 6 Place orange frosting into plastic resealable bag. For the head of the spider, pipe a small dollop of frosting onto frosting spider web. Pipe a slightly larger dollop beside the small dollop, for the body of the spider. Use chocolate decorating decors for the legs of the spider.