It’s time to tell sugar to Swerve!
Black and White and sweet all over, these deliciously soft, cake-like cookies are made with Swerve sweetener, touted as the ultimate sugar replacement. Swerve is a cup-for-cup natural sugar replacement that has all of the flavor and none of the calories of traditional sugar.
Unlike other natural sweeteners, it is easy on the tummy, with no bitter aftertaste and zero effect on blood sugar so that you can avoid the cranky sugar crashes.
So, even though these cookies are ‘sugar-free’ they’re still tasty and sweet with dark chocolate and vanilla frosting dipped over cake-like cookies. Your guests will never know!
Recipe and photo courtesy of Swerve.
For the Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup confectioners Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup water
- 1 Preheat oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2 In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Swerve Sweetener, whey protein powder, coconut flour and baking powder. Stir in eggs, melted butter, almond milk, and extract until well combined.
- 3 Using your hands, form dough into balls about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Place on prepared baking sheets 3 or 4 inches apart. Press down with the palm of your hand to flatten to about ½ inch thick.
- 4 Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until just firm and edges are just golden brown. Remove and let cool completely.
- 1 In a small saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate and butter. Stir until just melted and smooth, then remove from heat. Set aside.
- 2 In a medium bowl, combine confectioner’s Swerve with cream and vanilla extract. Stir in water a little at a time until a thin frosting consistency is achieved. Add half of the frosting to the melted chocolate in the pan, stirring until well combined. If the chocolate frosting begins to thicken too much, return over low heat and stir gently until thinner and smooth.
- 3 Spread each cookie with half of the white frosting and half of the chocolate frosting. Let cool until set.