A Sugar-Free Crème Brûlée? We promise you’ll never notice!
This decadent dessert is made with Swerve sweetener, touted as the ultimate sugar replacement. Swerve is a cup-for-cup natural sugar replacement that has all of the flavor and none of the calories of traditional sugar.
Unlike other natural sweeteners, it is easy on the tummy, with no bitter aftertaste and zero effect on blood sugar to avoid the cranky sugar crashes.
Your friends and family will never know they’re getting a healthier, sugar-free, version of their favorite dessert.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Swerve.
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons Swerve Granular
- 1 Preheat oven to 300F.
- 2 Place cream in a medium saucepan. Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds with a sharp knife. Add seeds and pod to the cream. Cook over medium heat until cream just barely simmers. Remove from heat, cover and let steep 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3 In a large bowl, beat yolks with 4 tablespoons Swerve until well combined. Remove the vanilla pod and slowly whisk cream into the yolks, stirring continuously.
- 4 Divide mixture among 4 ramekins. Set the ramekins inside a larger baking dish and add boiling water to about halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- 5 Bake until custard is just barely set, about 30 to 45 minutes. The center of each should still jiggle slightly when moved. Total baking time will depend on how deep or shallow the ramekins are.
- 6 Remove from oven, cool and then cover each with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- 7 Preheat broiler and set oven rack in the highest position. Sprinkle the top of each with remaining Swerve and broil, watching very carefully, until topping has bubbled and caramelized. This should take only a minute or two. Remove and let sit until topping hardens.
- 8 Alternatively, you can use a small kitchen torch to brown the topping.