Everyone loves tacos! Easily make vegetarian superfood tacos using ground pecans as a nutritious plant-based protein for taco “meat.”
Recipe courtesy of the American Pecan Council.
- 1 cup raw pecan halves or pieces (or lightly toasted)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or low sodium tamari)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
To Serve (optional):
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded green or red cabbage
- Green onion
- 1 In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onion, coconut aminos, and spices. Cook about 4 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- 2 Add pecans and onion mixture to food processor and pulse until consistency of ground beef, about 8 to 10 pulses. Makes 1 cup taco “meat.”
- 3 To serve: Use to make tacos with classic ingredients such as corn tortillas, shredded green/red cabbage, tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, jalapeños, lime, and guacamole. You can also top with this cajun garlic dipping sauce for added flavor.