Tabouli is a Middle Eastern salad traditionally made with bulgur wheat, fresh chopped cucumber, tomatoes and fresh mint in a tangy lemon-parsley and olive oil dressing. For this healthy whole grain salad recipe we added crumbled feta cheese with a side of warm grilled flatbread.
Why Try: Exceedingly healthy; amazingly delicious!
Foodie Byte: For a quick and easy lunch, serve chilled tabouli salad topped with a dollop of low-fat cottage cheese.
See our episode of :90 Seconds in the Kitchen as Chef Cari walks you thought how to make this delicious dish.
Copyright 2011. The Food Channel®. All Rights Reserved. For permission to use in a printed cookbook or commercial website, please contact Editor.
- ½ pound uncooked bulgur wheat
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 4 cups loosely packed fresh parsley (stems removed)
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves (optional)
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- As needed- flatbread, warm or grilled
- 1 Cover bulgur wheat with cold water and soak for 30 minutes; drain thoroughly. Transfer to a large bowl or glass baking dish.
- 2 Combine green onions and parsley in food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade; pulse briefly to blend to a coarse chopped consistency.
- 3 Add lemon juice, olive oil and salt; pulse until blended; pour parsley mixture over bulgur wheat and toss to blend. Press mixture flat in bowl or baking dish, cover and refrigerate overnight to completely hydrate bulgur wheat and allow flavors to develop.
- 4 Add fine chopped cucumber and tomato to salad and toss to blend.
- 5 Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese over salad and toss to blend.
- 6 Taste and adjust seasoning as needed (if too tangy or dry, add additional olive oil, if too mild add additional lemon juice).
- 7 Serve with warm grilled flatbread cut into hearty wedges, if desired