Thai Iced Coffee recipe. Cardamom adds a spicy-sweet flavor to this cooling iced coffee. The dried fruit of a plant in the ginger family, cardamom is sold in small round pods or as whole or ground seeds. This recipe calls for pods, which are ground with the coffee beans before brewing.
Recipe Courtesy of Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
- 3/4 cup French roast or other darkly roasted coffee beans
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Crushed ice as needed
- 1 In a coffee grinder, combine the coffee beans and cardamom pods and pulse until finely ground, about 15 seconds. Transfer the coffee mixture to the filter of a drip coffeemaker. Fill the top of the coffeemaker with the water and brew according to manufacturer's instructions.
- 2 Transfer the coffee to a heatproof pitcher and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- 3 Pour 1/3 cup coffee into each of 12 small glasses. Add 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk to each glass and stir to combine. Add ice and stir again, then serve.
- 4 Serves 12.