This Classic Smash Burger is the second recipe from Rattan Direct‘s series of Classic American Burgers!
Smash burgers are made by smashing the patty flat and letting them simmer in their fat until crisp on the outside.
All Classic American Burgers come from one starting point; 1/4 lb high quality minced steak with 20% fat, per burger. Mixed with black pepper to form a coherent mass and shaped into balls. Use large soft white buns. Seeds are optional. Toast the buns on the inner surfaces only.
- 1/4 lb burger mix (high-quality minced steak with 20% fat, black pepper)
- 1 slice cheese
- 1 Heat a cast iron griddle or frying pan until searing hot. Add a smear of oil.
- 2 Place the burger ball on the hot pan and scatter with good salt.
- 3 Press down with a stiff spatula until the burger is flat.
- 4 Grill until cooked through yet still juicy; it is time to turn over when red beading appears on the surface. It could take anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes per side.
- 5 Once turned, add a cheese slice to the burger.
- 6 Toast the buns; inside only.
- 7 Marry burger and bun.